Yes. You can send emails from yourdomain.com using Google for free. If you are like me and keeping your expenses low is a priority, then you will love this solution for branded domain emails.
You might have thought that you need to pay for Google Apps for Work or use the clunky email hosting that comes with your WordPress hosting, but no fear.
Why Do You Need A Branded Domain Email
These days @gmail.com and @yahoo.com emails don’t have the same professional characteristic as a branded domain. A branded email represents your professional. Secondly, a branded domain helps with your email campaigns, specifically RSS campaigns. Non-Branded domains tend to get placed in the spam folders more than branded domains!
Personally, I have used Google for everything. It’s my favorite email provider, and I sync the calendar settings with my computer.
After a few years of separating components, I have realized that the separation is not necessarily needed for a solopreneur. When am I going to check my personal email but not my business email at the same time? Instead of checking email separately, this method now integrates both.
Furthermore, I still set up the same rigorous label organization, so that my emails are separated business and personal. I have only one Google drive and one Google calendar that integrates everything.
Setting Up Your Email Via Google
For the purpose of this tutorial, I’m going to show you how to configure everything via SiteGround. SiteGround is my preferred WordPress host, and where I have setup my new lindsayhumes.com account. Over the last six months, I have moved countless clients to SiteGround, all of them have been happy with the transfer.
This approach allows you to have a branded domain without paying for Google Apps for Work, so it’s a way to cut down on expenses – especially if you are just starting out.
- Login to your SiteGround hosting account, and access your CPANEL.
- In the CPANEL, go to EMAIL ACCOUNTS.
- Create the username and password for the account you want to create. For example, email@example.com.
- Then, return to the CPANEL, and go to MX ENTRY.
- Select REVERT DEFAULT. The MX records will appear, and they look like “mx10.mailspamprotection.com”. If you choose SET GOOGLE MX, it’s as if you are setting up Google Apps for Work.
- Then, return to the CPANEL. Go back to EMAIL ACCOUNTS, and open up ACCESS WEBMAIL for the account you created in a new tab.
- In a new tab, go to your Gmail account. In the top right corner, select the SETTINGS. A bunch of tabs will appear, and you want to go to ACCOUNTS AND IMPORT.
- Under SEND MAIL AS, select ADD ANOTHER EMAIL ADDRESS.
- A new window will appear where you add your email address that you created in step 3.
- A new window will appear titled “Send Mail Through Your SMTP server.” The SMTP Server should be the same records you saw in step 5, and the username and password should be your full email and password that you created in Step 3. Change PORT to 465. Press ADD ACCOUNT.
- Google will send a verification code to your email. Go back to the tab we opened in Step 9. You should receive an email from Google with your verification, and add it to the other window.
- Then, you have verified your site, and you can send emails from your branded email.
- To receive emails to this account, go back to your CPANEL and select FORWARDERS.
- Finally, you will want to setup an email forwarder where the email you create in Step 3 goes to the same email address that you send emails. For example, I can send emails through both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. firstname.lastname@example.org forwards to email@example.com.
Once you verify your email, you can send and receive emails! You will receive emails and be able to send them from your branded email account!
Want more WordPress tutorials? Check out these posts!
Interested in working together? I’d love to hear about your project!