When creating product collages for your blog, you will likely want to remove the background from the image. There are two different tools you can use to edit the image – Magic Wand and Magnetic Lasso.
Magic Wand Method
Magic Wand is by far my favorite; it is the quickest and works best with images where the background highly contrasts the images.
- Open Your Image in Photoshop.
- Select the MAGIC WAND tool. In the top control bar, you should see “Sample Size” and “Tolerance.” I recommend using “POINT SAMPLE” and a tolerance level between 10-40. I use around 10-20.
- Select the main background areas. If areas are broken up into several parts, hold the SHIFT KEY as you highlight everything.
- Once you have highlighted everything, right click your MOUSE. Choose “SELECT INVERSE” from the popup. Now the product should be selected.
- Press COMMAND C to copy your selection.
- Press COMMAND N to open a new file. You will be able to choose your background settings, and I recommend using TRANSPARENT. The new file will automatically populate to be the size of what you’ve copied.
- When the new file opens, press COMMAND V to paste in your selection to the new file. You now have a product without a background.
Magnetic Lasso Method
Magnetic Lasso is the other option you can use. It works better for product images that do not have a sharp contrast with the product (aka Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters).
- Starting at the edge of the product, trace around the object you want to cut out. You will want to zoom into m ake sure you are getting a good view.
- When the entire product is traced out, follow Steps 5-7 above to paste your product into a new file.
Want more Graphic Design tutorials? Check out these posts!
Interested in working together?
I’d love to hear about your project!