Subscribe to receive my FREE email course to help you improve your blog design and grow your audience with actionable exercises that do not require a designer or developer!
Your domain is registered with one provider, and you either want to transfer it to a better provider like Namecheap (affiliate link) or to the same provider as your host, like SiteGround (affiliate link). If you change nothing else but where your domain is registered, then it is an extremely easy process. If you are on WordPress, Squarespace, Weebly, Blogger, etc., this tutorial is applicable to you!
What is the difference between a domain registrar and hosting provider?
Domain name registrars manage the reservation of domain names. Certain guidelines exist regarding the management of domain names, and these companies uphold those rules. They prevent someone else from claiming your domain name. Most domain registrars also provide hosting services. Web hosting is a service that allows you to make your website accessible via the Internet. When purchasing hosting, you are leasing space on a server for your domain and its content to live.
When you transfer your domain from registrar to the other, you are not changing your content on the hosting server. Your domain points to a NAMESERVER (something like ns1.host.com, and ns2.host.com). This NAMESERVER points to the server where your content lives.
How to Transfer Domain Names to Another Registrar
- Contact your current registrar (where you bought the domain). You need to unlock the domain.
- Double check your WHOIS contact information. The verification code will be sent to the email address listed.
- Retrieve the EPP or Authorization Code.
- Log into the provider you want to transfer the domain to; for this tutorial, I will be referencing SiteGround.
- Select the DOMAINS tab at the top of the page.
- Select the domain you want to transfer to your SiteGround account. You might be confused at this point. Your domain will be showing up because you host it through Bluehost, but it is not registered with Bluehost.
- Click on the link TRANSFER THIS DOMAIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT.
- A new window will populate, read it, and provide the EPP Code from Step 3.
- You will receive an email containing a second verification code. This email goes to your Bluehost administrator email address. If you do not have access to this email address, update it before you initiate the process.
- Enter the second verification code and select CONTINUE.
- A new window will populate with options such as NAMESERVERS, AutoRenewal, Contact Information, Privacy, and Terms. Review these, and purchase the ones you need. Remember, you do need privacy for your domain name.
- Complete the checkout process.
Next Steps + What To Expect
This process is quite easy, but some of the effects do not take place for a few DAYS! The transfer process typically takes 3-10 days once it has been initiated. If you keep the same NAMESERVERS, you should not experience any outages during the process. If you do run into any issues, clear your browser cache before reaching out to your new registrar.
Also, note that if you purchased or renewed your domain recently, ICANN policy does not allow the domain name to be transferred from a registrar within 60 days of the date when it was purchased or renewed. You also want to make sure that your domain does not expire during the 3-10 days when it is transferring.
You might also like How to Successfully Transfer Your Blog to WordPress from Blogger and FTP for WordPress: What, Why, + How.
Want more WordPress tutorials? Check out more posts on WordPress Tutorials! If you have any questions about this post, leave a comment below!